When I came back home from Japan after my recent trip, my luggage was 15 kgs (more than 30 lbs) heavier. The majority of the extra luggage was not food, cosmetics, or clothes. It was a new Wii and a Wii Fit board.
(both images from google search)
The reason I bought it was because I seriously, seriously want to lose weight. And a Wii was how I thought I could do it.
Now, if you've met me in person, you may tell me that I'm not fat. Thank you for your kind words, but the truth is that I am not happy with how I look.
- I am tired of not being able to find clothes in Japan. Most stores ONLY carry one size - medium, which is like a 2 in the US. Of course you can find stores that sell more than one size, but if you want something cute/trendy/fashionable, you'd better fit into the Japanese cookie cutter size. The rest of us are forced to skip the cute clothes and just try to find a clothing store where we can find something that fits.
- My BMI is above 25. So yes, I am obese, at least by Japanese standards. (In Japan, anything over a 25 gets you an "obese" rating on your annual health check. I know it is "overweight" in the US)
- Speaking of my annual health check, I do not enjoy having to explain why I am fat to my doctor every year.
- Being told "but she has a pretty face, if only..."constantly makes me sad.
- I don't want to continue to gain weight. I weighed myself recently, after being in denial. I have gained 4 kgs since moving 4 months ago. I don't want this to continue.
There are two problems - that I eat too much, and that I don't exercise.
I'm working on the exercise part first.
My problem is that if I have to get ready to go exercise, I won't do it. There is a gym in my apartment building, but I have not headed out there.
Enter the Wii Fit. I tried it at my friend's house and I loved it. I loved that I could do it at any time. I loved that there were enough choices for me not to get bored. And I loved that I could do it for as long or as short as I wanted.
So far, this strategy has been working for me. Right now, I'm forcing myself to pull out the Wii and exercise at least 30 minutes, every day. It may not seem like much, but for someone who gets up at 5 AM and comes home at 9 PM on workdays, this is something which I can do! And I've kept it up for 10 days.
I have several issues related to eating as well, but that is another post.
I don't know how much of my journey I'll continue to share. I know writing on this blog will force me to keep it up, but I'm still uncomfortable. I also know that a lot of my readers are here to read my reviews (Lush reviews, anyone?), so this may be not what you are looking for.
A blog I need to mention here: The person who has inspired me to lose weight is Allie from Wardrobe Oxygen. I adore her blog and her sense of style. I think this is the third time I've mentioned her blog - amazing, considering it is not a makeup blog! Over the past year, she has blogged about her weight loss journey. If she can do it with a full time job and a baby, I should be able to do it too! Thank you, Allie, for showing me that anyone can do it!
What do you think? Should I continue with these posts? Please, please be kind in your comments. This is something I am very uncomfortable with.