This product is called Big in Japan. Oh wow, finally a product with the same name in the UK and in Japan!
What it does: (from the Lush UK website)
Have a big hair day! This is like having your hair lifted on a sea breeze. We love salt on the hair because it’s great for giving volume. We experimented with it for a very long time before coming up with this, our ultimate salt shampoo. Work gently and thoroughly through wet hair to create lather, then rinse away.
Price: 11.25 GBP (about $18 USD)/330g, $26.95/11.4 fl oz, 1880JPY (around $24)/310g.
Why in the world is the Japanese container slightly smaller, according to the website?
Scent: This product smells of lemon and herbs. The scent is quite subtle, which is rare in a Lush product.
- This did a very good job at removing residue from my hair
- This is a very thick shampoo. When I dipped some out of the pot and tried to spread it on my scalp, I kept having to dip for more. When I washed it out, I realized I had a lot more lather than I needed.
- The bits of salt in this shampoo are HUGE. Since I have a lot of hair, the bits of salt drop to the floor of my shampoo without reaching my scalp.
- This is not an every day shampoo. My hair feels stripped afterwards.
- The container is huge. Considering you need a tiny bit of this (see below), I wish they had a smaller size
I really, really don't get the hype about this product. First of all, I don't understand how this product is supposed to work. Salt does indeed give my hair volume, but only when it is in my hair. Since shampoo is supposed to be rinsed out, how can it continue to give my hair volume?
Like I said above, it is VERY easy to get too much product on your scalp, which may lead to shampoo left on the scalp. I took a very small bit of this product, put it in a cup with some warm water to dilute it before using it. I figured out that for my hair, I needed less than a teaspoon worth of product.
I also mentioned that the salt crystals were huge and do not reach my scalp. At first, I tried to wash my hair in sections. Failing in that, I ground up the product before using it, but it was such a huge pain! I finally ended up diluting it as I mentioned above since the salt should work on my hair regardless of how large the crystals are.
Do I regret buying this product? No, especially because I'm a beauty blogger (ha!). I will use this product up eventually!
What were your thoughts on the Lush Big shampoo? Hope you enjoyed my review!