In most of my Weekly Reads, I posted a link to a delicious looking recipe from a food blog. Now that I’m back in Japan, I’ve started cooking some of them!
First up are mushroom burgers!
These burgers are made almost entirely from mushrooms and contain no meat. They were very savory and each bite was packed full of umami. The texture was great as well!
Yield: 6 small burgers
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hours
Ingredients: (original recipe halved, see below for my modifications)
– 340g cremini mushrooms (white button mushrooms)
– 3-4 shiitake mushrooms
– 60ml minced onions
– 120ml breadcrumbs
– 1 egg
– 60ml oat flour or other flour
– 40ml grated parmesan cheese
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
– olive oil
– pinch of salt
– extra breadcrumbs for forming patties
– Any mushrooms work for this recipe, but I suggest having 2-3 types. I used 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, a package of maitake mushrooms, and a package of shimeji mushrooms because they are cheaper than button mushrooms
– I left out the grated parmesan cheese. I got a huge flavor punch without it.
1. Clean and mince mushrooms. If you have a food processor, you can leave the pieces pretty big.
2. Cook the mushrooms in a frying pan with olive oil and salt until they release their liquid. Continue cooking until they dry out slightly.
3. Add the onion and continue to cook
4. If you have a food processor, pulse the mixture until it is a rough paste (I completely skipped this step by mincing the ingredients very finely in step 1)
5. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, flour, cheese (which I skipped), cayenne pepper, soy sauce, parsley, and mix well
6. Shape into patties, and dunk into breadcrumbs. This forms a crust on the outside which helps it hold its structure. Chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, and grill 5-6 minutes per side on high heat. (I just formed the patties and cooked them immediately on a frying pan. The breadcrumbs + rest in refrigerator steps are supposed to help with the structure since the mixture is pretty wet. I didn’t have any trouble cooking these, but it may be different if you use a grill)
These were delicious! I’ll definitely be making these again!